Pages

Monday 12 March 2018

Separating Mixtures

Aim

To separate a solution from a precipitate (precipitate is the name for a solid that forms in a liquid during a chemical reaction)

Equipment

-Lead II nitrate 
-Potassium iodide
-Stirring rod 
-A 10ml beaker
-A funnel 
-Filter paper

Method

1.) Pour approximately 10 ml of Lead II Nitrate into a beaker

2.)Add the same volume of Potassium Iodide. A precipitation reaction will occur, resulting in a cloudy yellow precipitate of Potassium Nitrate

3.)Your science teacher will show you how to fold the filter paper so it fits inside your funnel

4.)Place the funnel, with the filter paper inside it, into the mouth of a conical flask.

5.)Stir, then carefully pour the precipitate mixture into the funnel.

Observation

Outline what you saw happen

When I pour the Potassium Nitrate (mixtures of Lead II Nitrate and Potassium Iodide) it filtered through a clear liquid into the Conical Flask.

Discussion

-When I mix the two chemicals it went cloudy yellow.
-When I filtered the chemicals through the filter paper it prevented the yellow bits to come through.
-A clear liquid filtered through.










No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.