Pages

Tuesday 5 November 2019

Creative Writing

5th of November 2019
WALT: Identify and recognise ideas for our 'Risk or Challenge' creative writing task, as well as the physical sensation associated with it.

Ideas for R or  C
- Camp activities (The 2 wire, solo, the swamp, blindfolded)
- Doing a shoey
- Sports (Competition, trials, tournament etc)
- Project K (Rock climbing, hiking)
- An abandoned house
- Being in the army
- Getting chased

Physical Sensations
- Sweat (Whole body, palms, feet, back, forehead, armpits, backside, nosed, lips, back of knees)
- Knees weak/shake
- Need to wee
- Heavy breathing
- Looking around a lot
- Walking back and forth
- Leg bounce/shaking
- Pins and needles
- Heart pounding/racing/bursting
- Butterflies in the stomach - blood drop - fluttering


We have finally arrived at our destination. My group and I have been walking for a few minutes to get to a small swamp as the camp councillor would say. It was more like a small lake or a pond to me, the area was surrounded by grass on one side and thick trees and bushes on the other. The chilly wind flew past my face freezing it. A few birds chirped by as they flew overhead us and a few grey clouds blocked the sun. We set our bags on the ground and we were given a simple task by our camp instructor.



That’s it. We were done for. One of the planks we used to cross the swamp has fallen off the pole and into the water. It was just a simple task to improve our teamwork capability. Get to the other side of the swamp with only two planks. ‘Dang, it’ I thought, I did not want to fall into the murky swamp water. The air was freezing cold that morning and the water was even worse. We were forced to squish in one of the planks, packed in one place like a can of sardines. I was placed on the edge of the plank, left foot hanging off of it barely touching the water.


It was bad enough that the cold wind was freezing my entire feet up but after a few minutes of standing on one foot, my whole leg was starting to shake. I couldn’t move my foot to get it in a more comfortable spot because in doing so I might move the plank. I heard the plank creak and thought that it was about to break and I felt really relieved that I was standing on one of the poles.


After a few seconds of looking like headless chickens, one of our group members finally came up with a good idea. Use the stick that he found on the way to the swamp. After a few tries and an attempt that gave me quite a fright. One of my group members finally succeeded and got the plank back.


After getting the plank back it was only the matter of succeeding to place the piece of wood in one the pole and getting to the other side. ‘Place it slowly and carefully’ a female group member said. A few seconds of lifting the plank up and setting it down we finally succeeded in getting the plank on the pole and were able to make it to the other side. A feeling of relief overtook me as my foot was placed onto the grass and I could hear some of my group members shout out in success.


After successfully making it to the other side our camp instructor told us to get the two plank to him. “You guys can walk around so you don’t have to cross the swamp but if you want you can,” he said. I sighed and picked up one of the planks and stepped into the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.